Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Things 4

So for months now, I have said that I wanted to learn and start making home made fruit smoothies. However, like I usually do, I put it off and just kept going to smoothie king when I craved one or found another things to fulfill that want. But... Today I actually took the step to start making them in effort to being more healthy and eating less and hopefully loosing weight! I found an awesome smoothie blender at Wal-mart that was pretty decently priced. The most expensive thing ( more bang for your buck speaking ) was the frozen fruit and juice. However, I chose a great value brand of frozen mixed fruit that should last me a week for about $8 and decided on the frozen cans of juice, which were around $1.50 a piece. Around $9 vs. spending around $20 or more a week is a pretty good deal. Once I got home I decided to go ahead and try it out... Lets see how well it turned out...
The bag of mixed fruit. The only downside to this particular bag is that you get a random mix of the fruits. You kinda have to pick out what you want unless you dont care. However, it is cheaper.

I bought small chip ice for easier blending. 16lbs of this was a dollar at our local "Cold Iceer Ice Machine"

Frozen Orange juice... wayyyy cheaper than a bottle of OJ

Fruit and Ice... Ready to add OJ

This was my first attempt at the right amount... after blending I ended up adding a little more OJ to give it a smoother texture.

Completed Project
It tasted pretty good but it lacked in sweetness just a little bit. So, I remembered what I saw watching the people at "smoothie king" using to sweeten smoothies...Honey. Humm, so next time, I will try to add a little of that instead of sugar. Its a little more healthy and not as many calories as straight sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment