Saturday, January 7, 2012

Reading Challange

Last year I started reading Denise Hunter, Karen Kingsbury, Lisa McKay (must read hers), as well as a few other Christian Fiction authors. But, I have also read Laruelene McDaniel, Jennifer Weiner, and a few others in the Fiction category. I have decided that for the new year I want to continue on my reading. However, I am actually going to make a goal for myself. Because of my busy schedule and still learning to "stick" with a book that doesn't catch my interest in 15 pages, I am going to challenge myself to read TWO books a month. Thats 24 books this year. Yes, I can most certainly do this. Hopefully I will get to where I am reading even more than that. But above even these 24 books... I am challenging myself to read the entire bible over the course of this year. So... 24 books plus the Bible. Yes, I should have my eyes busy. Below are a few reviews on some really good books I have read as well as my reading bucket list. Lol.

Jennifer Weiners Book: "Best Friends Forever" was a pretty good book. I actually JUST finished this one about two mornings ago. Here is what the back of the books says: 

When Addie Downs opens her front door and discovers her long-lost childhood best friend standing there, with terror on her face and blood on her coat, she finds herself on an extraordinary adventure on which she'll learn the truth about her past and forever change her future...
Addie Downs and Valerie Adler were eight when they first met and decided to be best friends forever. But being a teenager is hard enough without having to maintain childish promises friends make to each other when they're young, especially when life is steering them in different directions.
Val went on to the life of fame and fortune she's always dreamed of while Addie stayed behind in their small Midwestern town, forging a quiet life for herself. But sometimes, the bonds made in childhood hold a tighter reign on our destinies than we know and when, 25 years later Val shows yup at Addie's house with a secret they only a childhood friend can bare, the two women embark on a road trip they'll never forget.
 After reading this book... I did come to the conclusion that it was pretty good. I had actually had it on my shelf for almost a year due to the fact that I tried to bring myself to read it a while back but at the time couldn't get into it. There are some tugging parts in this book, some twist and turns that will keep you interested. These two "best friends" have a past hurt that is revealed in the later part of the book which makes their reunion together a little more interesting. However, through all the drama in the book, I was expecting a little more of a "wow" ending. However, the ending that was written suited it fine...still a little disappointment. Rating out of 10... I would say a 7. Still would recommend it. :) 

"My Hands Came Away Red" by Lisa McKay is by far a great book! I would recommend it a millions times over. It is about a girl who goes on a mission trip and their experiences. Once you get past the first few chapters you CAN'T put it down. I read this book in two days. It had me capitivated. The drama, the tense scenes, the scares...Its a must read! 

Back of the book says: Cori signs up to take a mission trip to Indonesia during the summer sfter her senior year of high school. Inspired by happy visions of building churches and seeing beautiful beaches, she gladly escapes her complicated love life back home. Five weeks after their arrival, a sectarian and religious conflict that has been simmering for years flames to life with deadly results on the nearby island of Ambon. Within days, the church building the team had constructed is in ashes, its pastor and fifty villagers are dead, and the six terrified teenagers are stranded in the mountainous jungle with only the pastor’s teenage son to guide them to safety. Ultimately, Cori’s emotional quest to rediscover hope proves just as arduous as the physical journey home

If you like books that have a lot of action in them... This is a hit. I aim to read more of her books and books like this, this year. My friend Rachel actually lent me this book after reading it herself. She also gave a really good review on it.







 Denise Hunter has written several books that I have read over the past year. This one "Seaside Letters" is one of several of the Nantucket series that she has written. I have read all but two, one of which I am in the middle of reading now. 

Back of Book says:   Their letters could lead to lasting love . . . or expose Sabrina's mortifying secret.Sabrina Kincaid didn't intend to fall for Nantucket native Tucker McCabe, the man she serves coffee to every morning-a man tied to a past she deeply regrets. But she has. And she's fallen hard.But she's kept this a secret from her handsome customer. And now Tucker wants to hire Sabrina to help locate his friend "Sweetpea"-the mysterious woman he's falling in love with online. Sabrina is not inclined to help, but if Tucker hires someone else, it could spell disaster. Because if someone else sifted through the emails and figured out the truth-then Tucker would discover that the person he's trying to find is . . . her.

The Nantucket series are mostly "love" stories but they are most certainly not the sappy ones. They are about people facing big obstacles in their past and how those obstacles and tragic events lead two people together and increase their faith. She writes Christian Fiction, which has become one of my favorite categories to read.  If you like a little love mixed with inspiration... Read these. The Nantucket Series includes Driftwood Lane (her newest one I am reading), Seaside Letters, Surrender Bay, and The Convenient Groom (which I have still yet to read, but will!). These stories are not tied together in any way OTHER than the fact that they take place in the same town of "Nantucket". Characters and stories are all completely different and each have their own surprises. 

I have read many other books of which I will possibly write reviews on later but these three are ones that stood out to me over the past few months. Right now I am reading Denise Hunters: Driftwood Lane and have about three waiting for me once I finish this one. Sometimes I can read a book in a day or two, and other times it may take me 2 weeks. So that is why I am giving myself some time le-way. Some of the books that are on my achievement list for this year are : 








These two books are both by Jeanette Windle. They look exciting and are in the same catagory as "My Hands Came Away Red" so I am excited to get to these two. I have made a list of about 12 books that I know for sure I want to read and will surely find more as I go along! I would love to read all of Denise Hunters books (she has 17) and Lisa McKay's also.  So.... Here I GO!! :)

 

2 comments: